Thursday, November 27, 2008

Brave Angel

Angel went for another walk yesterday. It was pretty cold and I was glad that her new sweater fits. As before, she was very cautious and slow. All the smells and noises surrounding her must be pretty terrifying but with proper training I know she’ll be able to focus and enjoy the walks. I know this because I can see that she has the drive to do so. We watched her curiously and daringly climb a step up and down. She successfully sensed the width and the height of the obstacle. She is so great! (I guess this is what parents feel when they see their child make its first steps.) Patience and warm words of encouragement seem to be enough and, as many people have assured me, the support of good, “smelly” treats will do even more. With this positive reinforcement she’ll do great.

I’m concerned that she still coughs a little. I made an appointment for her surgery for next Wednesday. She’ll need to completely recover before that time. It seems that her spirit is up, though. Chris said that she woke them up loudly chewing on rawhide at night. Angel is going to a foster home in Brooklyn. Robert, a volunteer for Might Mutts (http://mightymutts.tripod.com/), will take care of her for now.




1 comment:

  1. Ewelina, I had a thought - what if Angel could be trained to understand and properly respond to the commands that guide dogs are taught to lead the blind? In other words, if she heard "Forward", "Stop", "left", "right", "up", "down" and so on, she would eventually understand where she is being guided to, what to do at a corner or in the street, or know there are steps up and down, etc.

    ReplyDelete