Sunday, November 9, 2008

Little Girl's story

On Sunday, November 2nd, around 9 o'clock in the morning, I was coming back home, Queens after running my Husky in Prospect Park. Due to the marathon a lot of streets were closed so I decided to take a local route through Atlantic Ave. I was in the vicinity of Eastern Pkwy when I saw a dog standing and whimpering in the middle of Atlantic Ave. I heard her crying, then I saw how bad she looked. She must have been just hit because the street was not backed up and every car was going around her. No one cared and someone even honked at me for stopping. I led her to the side of the street and called 411 to find the closest hospital. I was waiting for a response while gently pressing the dog to my leg. After couple of attempts to walk away she was clinging to my leg and stood patiently. I was told to go to 80 Atlantic Ave. I was in the 2000s. I asked a guy crossing the street to open the door for me and he said "Oh my god! I can't even look at the dog". She was most likely hit in the head pretty hard because both of her eyes were out of the sockets and she was bleeding from them quite profusely. I tried to get help from cops to get to the hospital faster. I couldn't continue on Atlantic Ave. I was in traffic and kept running into barricaded streets closed for the marathon. The cops said that they can't help me and I just have to go with the traffic. I frantically called my friend who used to live in Park Slope and would know the closest hospital. She directed me to the Park Slope Animal Clinic on Prospect Park West. I handed the poor doggie to the vet and broke down crying. I honestly thought that I was bringing her to be put down. I assumed she must have had serious brain damage. But the vet, Dr. Holloway said that she really doesn't have many injuries except for the obvious eye damage. She couldn't tell if she would suffer from brain swelling but time was passing and she was doing relatively ok. I couldn't make a decision to put her down. She looks so young and resilient. She had no tags, no collar. The vet noticed she has worn pads from living on the street and she threw up some rice and onions, basically some trash she probably found. They scanned her for a microchip but none was found. The right eye had to be removed because it had no blood supply; it was basically hanging by a thread. The other eye was put back in her head and sawn shut. It will take about two weeks before we know if she can see with the other eye. She is currently at the Dognosis boarding place in Brooklyn and will stay there until stitches are removed. She most likely had a concussion but has quite an appetite. She seems very friendly with people and animals. She looks like a very small pit bull. The vet thinks she's about 1 or 1.5 years old. She's 25 Ib.

No comments:

Post a Comment